Candidate Information

Who can be a Mayor, Deputy Mayor or Councillor candidate?

A person is entitled to be a candidate for Mayor, Deputy Mayor, or councillor if he/she,

  • is a resident of the Township of McNab/Braeside, or an owner or tenant of land in the Township of McNab/Braeside,  or the spouse of such an owner or tenant;
  • is a Canadian citizen;
  • is at least 18 years old; and
  • is not legally prohibited from voting.

Who cannot be a Mayor, Deputy Mayor or Councillor candidate?

The following people are disqualified from being elected as a member of council, or from holding office as a member of council:

  • an employee of the municipality unless he or she takes an unpaid leave of absence beginning the day they are nominated and resign if elected to the office.
  • a judge of any court.
  • a member of the Provincial Legislature, the Federal House of Commons or Senate who has not resigned from their office by the close of nominations. Proof of resignation must be provided by the close of nominations or the Clerk will not certify the nomination.
  • a candidate who failed to file the necessary financial statement(s) in the last municipal election or by-election.

Nomination Procedures

The Nomination Paper must be accompanied by a filing fee in cash, certified cheque, money order or by debit, payable to the Township of McNab/Braeside  Presently,

  • $200 for the Office of the Mayor
  • $100 for the Office of Deputy Mayor or Councillor 

There is a new requirement that each Nomination Paper (excluding School Board Trustee candidates) must be signed by 25 voters supporting the nomination. Individuals providing signatures must sign a declaration stating they are eligible to vote in the Township of McNab/Braeside on the day the endorsement is signed.

Filing your nomination

To file your nomination you must give the following to your municipal clerk:

When you fill out the nomination form, write down your name as you want it to appear on the ballot. If you normally go by a different name than your legal first name, you may use that name provided that the clerk agrees.

You do not have to provide all of your names under the box entitled “Given Name(s)” on the form. Only provide the one(s) that you want to appear on the ballot. If your legal name is a single name you do not have to provide any given names.

You must file the nomination form that you have signed – the form may not be a copy and may not be scanned and submitted electronically. You must file the nomination form in person or have an agent file it on your behalf.

The clerk may require you to show identification or fill in an additional form to prove that you are eligible to be nominated. If an agent is going to file the form on your behalf you should check with the clerk to see if you are required to provide identification or additional paperwork.

Endorsement Signatures

If you are running for municipal council in a municipality that has more than 4,000 electors, you must submit 25 signatures endorsing your nomination.

Anyone providing an endorsement signature must be eligible to vote in the municipality on the day that they signed the endorsement. In addition to their endorsement, they will also be required to sign a declaration that they are eligible to vote in the municipality.

If you submit 25 endorsement signatures and find out later that a person (or persons) was not eligible to vote on the day that they signed the endorsement, you will not lose your nomination. The person who supplied false information (by declaring that they were eligible to endorse your nomination when they were not eligible) could be subject to prosecution.

School board trustee candidates are not required to submit endorsement signatures.


Form 1 – Nomination Paper

Form 2 – Endorsement of Nomination

Form 4 – Financial Statement – Auditor’s Report Candidate

Form 5 – Financial Statement – Subsequent Expenses 

Form 6 – Notice of Extension of Campaign Period